...and one hour later...
"You've been very generous, let us get our weed now..."
~smiles~ No thanks - I insist... please, continue to feel free....
"okay, well then back to what I was saying...
So who would have guessed that someone like ME... a SIMPLE ROOFER... would be able to write a book that STEPHEN HAWKING would be interested in, but.... blah blah blah... and now he and I keep in touch via email all the time....blah blah blah.... so did you say you were writing something? " He leans forward.... "hmmm?"
I pulled back a bit from the table... heart pounding... "no reaction... make no reaction" smilez...
Fractions of a second passing by in slow motion....tilt my head, lower my eyes, smile a small bashful grin, cross my legs.... a second clicks by....
Shifting my eyes to Robert... smilez....slight tilt of head the other way and my eyes shift back to Chance.... half seconds.... he's taking is sunglasses off.... "was he wearing sunglasses?" eyes shifting to his eyes... black and diamond centers....
FLASH.... two seconds.... mine shift back to Robert... ".... the eyes are like a Pharaoh..." yes that's the way they are...
"No, I'm not really writing anything Chance. I'm a nerd for a living really and my writing is just about my head funk...blah blah blah....so I'm much more interested in you telling me about your book, you said you and STEPHEN HAWKING are friends?....."
".... so the book deals with Time and Space and GOD if you will but who's to say which GOD is right for people or even to say that one GOD covers the whole damn thing anyway, I mean there's this story in the bible.... blah blah blah... and the angles had two hours....blah blah blah... but MY GOD Lucifer....blah blah blah..."
"... blink blink... that was sooo faint....what did he say?" BOOMING VOICE barely there...the little one has yet to speak...?"
"... and you're so trusting Susan.. I mean really, to let two total strangers walk right into your house, I mean you're a woman who lives alone and what? Does your family check on you daily? Probably not, so if something WERE to happen to you, why, it might be dayz before anyone would even think to check on you....blah blah blah.... and women like you should be more careful, bless her heart, but I have a friend who just passed away the other day from doing something just like this...blah blah blah... do you believe in GOD Susan?"
Blinking... blinking... eyes shifting, heart racing... fractions of seconds.... "don't react... Shawn Connery....never hesitate..." My eyes shift to Robert who hasn't said a thing at all this whole time, but has just sat there with his chin resting on the back of his hands, only shifting his eyes from Chance to me and back again.... I noticed.... damn it... goosebumps....
"Robert, you haven't said anything this whole conversation. In truth gentlemen, I find that odd... what do YOU think of all this conversation Robert?"
Chance leans over toward Robert.... "am I really hearing this?"
"...He's here so that WE can talk Susan." the air space just imploded onto my feet... my eyes drop to the center of the table.... and back up again... smiles....
No reply from Robert.... he just shifted his eyes and smiled, lowered his clasped hands from his chin onto the table and reached for the pipe....
My eyes shift back to Chance... who now had his hand inside of his pocket.... he leans forward and FLASH "...my what big eyes you have..." "all the better to see you with"....
Next