~"Are you hear to hurt me gentlemen?" ! where the fuck did THAT come from crap!... make no reaction... breathe.... no reaction.... no hesitation... smiling.... looking at Chance right in the eyes.
~"... or are YOU here to hurt US Susan?..."
He's stands up pulling his sunglasses out of his pocket... were they on a rope the first time I saw them??? And why is he pulling them out of his pocket now? It's almost 9pm, the sun is down...
He sits back down... a handful of seconds... Robert shifts.... and from the corner of my eye, I can see my slider is open.... drop my eyes to the table.... one pair, two pair, three pair of clasped hands, two empty and one holding glasses on a rope.... my heart is racing and DAMN IT, the goosebumps....
I lean back.... smile... breathe smile...
"No, Chance. It's been a strange few months gentlemen and I have to say that if I'm going to believe in my beliefs, then I have to assume that YOU are just the same as I am."
"... that's pretty fair of you..."
"Until you hurt me, I choose to believe that's not your first intent....? Isn't that what you assume...? or again, DID you come here to hurt me? Or just have a beer and allow me to thank you for your help?"
Then all of a sudden, my littlest kitten LB, comes running out the door, crouched, ears back and straight to my feet....
"IS YOUR CAT Affraid of US?" His voice was like a thunderclap into my ears and the motion went slower ... I turned my head to see him and he leaned forward and his eyes were HUGE! "Are you COLD DEAR?... I see Goosebumps on your arm there"
Slower. Thicker is this air now... or am I in water? My kitten, picking her up and she tucks her head into my arm... walking to my door and putting her inside again. Close the door this time my mind cries....
I pick her up.... "no, if she were, then she wouldn't have come out...." this door has been open the whole time, she's not come out until just now... PAY FUCKING ATTENTION SUSAN... put her inside and close the damn door....
How did he just get to my side?...
Fractions of seconds...... " The rope on my sunglasses has come detached, do you have a screwdriver in the house I can use?"
the door is unlocked, he could just walk in if he wants.... FLASH... rope, my neck, the floor, my body.... I take one step back, just out of his reach... stay calm... He CAN just walk in if he's here to hurt me... there are two of them...
"....Can I have your blessing and use your bathroom?".... booming voice.... barely there....my head turns to Robert who is now standing and holding a couple of empty beer bottles....
He hasn't fucking spoken the whole time and NOW, he asks me for my BLESSING to pee??? What the fuck??? PAY ATTENTION SUSAN.... fractions of seconds....
Head turning back to Chance standing at my sliding glass door.... left hand, rope end, right hand rope end, middle tight.... fingers tight, veins in his wrist are out.... my heart is pounding in my head POUNDING.... center of vision is narrow to the hands... to the eyes.... to Roberts eyes.... narrow to his wrist.... his pulse is high..... my little LB ran out... FLASH mother...
it's not a cigar... control my breath... fractions of seconds... "Don't move until you see it"... Bobby Fischer....
"...look at his eyez... FLASH....omg... I don't think he CAN hurt me...."
BOOMING VOICE.... firm in the air, my voice, but barely there to my ears, but to theirs...
"Gentlemen, I've enjoyed our talks... I think it's time we call this a night...I thank you both for your help..."
"...I've heard what you've come to share. I'd rather you both leave through the side gate please... and I'll meet you around the front with that screw driver.... I'm sorry to be rude, but I'd rather you not go back thru my house."
oh my fucking gawd... where did that come from.... holding still... comfortably motioning with hands to the side yard gate....
"... If you ever need anything, here's my card.... have a good night"
Two things! The young one says nothing all night, asked me to bless him to go pee and now hands me his card.... my eyes glance down....
Cornman Chance... Acme Roofing.
blink blink blink.... you're kidding right?
=======================================
The next morning.... am I dead?.... no.
Check the card again... did that really happen? Yes! Oh crap...
Three days before the Corn Moon...
Grateful, filled with gratitude, crying in thanks, crying in blessings, crying for joy and love and thankful... thankful thankful....
My birthday this year is three days before the Corn Moon...
Next